Ex-Prince Andrew arrested for suspected misconduct as Epstein files fallout grows

World News

U.K. police on Thursday arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor—the former British royal whose title was stripped last year over his ties to Jeffrey Epstein—for alleged “misconduct in public office,” weeks after the latest Justice Department Epstein files release showed more details of the former Prince’s ties to the convicted sex offender.
Former Prince Andrew has been arrested. Image: Getty
Key Takeaways
  • In an official statement Thames Valley Police said: “We have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.”
  • The statement said the arrested individual remained in police custody but added: “We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance.”
  • The BBC, the Associated Press and several other outlets however, confirmed that the arrested individual was Andrew, who turned 66 on Thursday.
  • According to the BBC, unmarked police cars were seen on Thursday morning arriving in Andrew’s home in Sandringham Estate.
  • The Associated Press reported that the Thames Valley Police is “assessing” allegations that Andrew sent trade reports to Epstein in 2010.
  • The BBC reported that there are no charges against Andrew yet and the former Royal has “strenuously denied any wrongdoing” in matters related to Epstein.
Crucial Quote

Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. “We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

What To Watch For

According to the BBC, in cases like this suspects can be held by police in the U.K. for 12 to 24 hours before being charged or released pending further investigation.

The report noted that the police may be able to seek extensions that at most extend Andrew’s stay in custody up to 96 hours. It is, however, unclear what prompted the sudden arrest of the former British royal and if the police had found any evidence to charge him.

Surprising Fact

Andrew’s arrest coincides with his 66th birthday. This is his first birthday since he was stripped of his Royal titles last year.

This is a developing story.

Look back on the week that was with hand-picked articles from Australia and around the world. Sign up to the Forbes Australia newsletter here or become a member here.

Avatar of Siladitya Ray
Forbes Staff